Who we are
ShakaCode is a global software consultancy specializing in Ruby on Rails, React, Rust, and ReScript. Founded in 2011 by Justin Gordon, creator of the open-source react_on_rails gem, ShakaCode’s culture is quality code. Companies hire ShakaCode because of our in-depth technical knowledge, demonstrated by our projects and open-source software. We’re not one of those agencies that rush a ton of features for a low fixed price! Our Recent Work page showcases ShakaCode projects. We also help many companies using our flagship React on Rails open source, often with performance improvements and frontend architectural expertise.
f you’re not sure if you want to apply, have any questions, or we’re slow to get back to you, feel free to reach out to the founder Justin Gordon via email or on our React plus Ruby on Rails Discord server
What we’re offering
What we are looking for
- 3+ years of experience as a product or UI/UX designer with shipped products in your portfolio.
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Comfortable working with clients, including the ability to present and defend design decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work responsibly remotely.
- Ability to write first drafts of UX copy.
- Ability to consider the relative difficulty of engineering for various designs.
- Ability to estimate how many hours design work will take. Such estimates should break a larger project into smaller chunks.
- Comfortable with startup environments where changes can happen quickly.
- Experience creating implementable high fidelity designs with either Figma, Sketch, or Invision.
- Ability to create either pixel-perfect or approximate designs and knowing which one to do.
- Experience creating designs either mobile-first or desktop-first.
- Having shipped live products where you led the design of substantial features.
Nice to have
- Understanding how digital advertising works, concepts of monetization, conversion rates, Google, and other website analytics in order to drive designs and product plans
- Has demonstrated product management skills such as the ability to help a startup founder evaluate the overall business model that will drive the product design and, especially, how the startup can evaluate different product options before building them. This the thinking that’s upstream of the product design
- Experience with marketplaces
- Experience with administrative dashboards used to manage websitesHTML and CSS experience
- Ability or interest in frontend coding, maybe with React